Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Shout it from the housetop

I like to talk.

Sometimes I talk too much.

Far too many times, I speak without thinking.

This morning I was reading in Luke 12 and the Lord reminded me to gaurd my speech.


"For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.

Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops."
~Luke 12:2,3~

Wow.

Can you imagine every little thing you have told someone in secret, good or bad, shouted to everyone from a housetop? That really causes me to think more about what I say. How many times have you heard people say, "Just between you and me...."? It can be so easy to say things to people when you think they are the only one listening.

I think we can all admit that too often than not, we speak without thinking. Say those words and later wish you could have taken them back. It doesn't even have to be mean or hurtful words, it can be things you say that just aren't necessary.

You know that saying, "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me." This is an utterly false saying. Words are some of the sharpest and most hurtful things. You can physically heal from broken bones, but words, oh, those words can sting like a dagger.

"The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times."
~Psalm 12:6~

The Lord's words are purified, seven times, the number of perfection. What if we did that? Instead of speaking hastily, think about those words, are they good, edifying, and words you wouldn't mind be shouted from a housetop?

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."
~Psalm 19:14~

1 comment: