Thursday, June 7, 2012

From generation to generation

Every family has their different things they pass down from generation to generation.

I think every family has stories, lots and lots of stories.

Before my grandpa passed away last year, I remember a time when we were sitting on the bed and he brought in the few old pictures that he had kept from the years.

We would ask, "Who is this?", then he would go into their story and how they are our great-great-great relative.

Actually, one of my ancestores was the nanny (or something similiar) to 'Bloody Mary', I found that out on that day. Nothing to be really proud of, but interesting none-the-less.

I have heard many, many stories from my grandparents/parents/aunts/uncles, I hope I never ever forget them.

One thing that has been passed down in my family is recipes.

On my mom's side, it is biscuits and gravy, very southern :) I grew up on this for breakfast, especially when all the cousins would get together. Oh and I can't forget chocolate gravy...Mmmm!!

On my dad's side, there are a few recipes that have been passed down, one of them is butterhorns. Grandma Waldron has made these yummies for years, then dad started making them for us, and yesterday I made them for the first time!


For now, I'm just gonna listen and soak it all up. Lord willing, someday I will be in their shoes telling the stories, sharing the recipes, and passing on the traditions to my kids and grandkids :)

No comments:

Post a Comment