Thursday, October 18, 2012

Jury Duty


I've known people who are just searching any way to get out of jury duty when they are summoned, making it out to be something horrible. (Of course, I understand if you have a truly horrible case.) Others who want to be called so badly, but never have had the privilege of being called.

Did you notice I said 'privilege' just now? ^^

I was one who thought it would be fun to be called!

My wish came true, I was summoned for jury duty about a month ago. I went into court last week, to see if I would be picked to be part of the jury. Out of about 50 or so people, I was one of the 12 (with one alternate) that were picked to be on the jury, by the attorneys.

Can I be honest with you?!

After hearing the charges that this man was facing, before I was even selected -- 1st degree attempted murder, 2nd degree assault, and felony harassment-- my heart literally dropped. I got anxious and was wondering how gross and yucky this might be, attempted MURDER! Yet, God gave me peace through the selection process and didn't urge me to say anything about my little amount of fear.

As I said above, I was selected to be a part of the jury. I knew that being selected, God had a specific reason for me being there.

After going through this entire process of it all, I can say with certainty, this has been one of the most interesting/mentally draining/awesome/wonderful things that I have been blessed to be apart of.

I spent a week with 12 other people, hearing the ins and outs of this particular case (which was NOT gross, btw!). Everyone, from the fellow jurors, judge, bailiff...., were so nice and it was great to be able to come together for this purpose.

I just don't even know how to accurately describe it.

It's a great sense of responsibility and prayers going up that God would give wisdom to see the truth, with the deliberation process. Which the deliberation process actually took 10 + hours, for us.

The process in and of itself is so fascinating and helps you understand everything so much better.
As someone who has done this, I would highly encourage anyone to take their chance to be a part of something bigger than themselves. I would, without a doubt, do it again.

If nothing else, you can appreciate the fact that everyone has to stand for you when you enter the room :)

So please, don't try to squeeze out of it next time you are called. If you have an open mind, you will enjoy it as much as I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment