Sunday, November 7, 2010

I'm on a Quest....


The quest is to learn (maybe even make myself :o)....) to enjoy broccoli. Ever since I was a kid, I strongly disliked broccoli, even to the point of gagging on it (maybe that was a little dramatic, but hey, now you know how much I truly disliked it). I would refer to it as a tree, tasting the same as one anyways. As I grow older,  I know how good broccoli is for you, so I am trying to make myself like it. I keep trying it different ways to see if I can come up with a way I prefer it. So far I've tried raw with ranch, on top of a vegey pizza (which was actually pretty good, of course on pizza right?! lol), then today I had cheesy broccoli soup. I think the best one was probably the pizza, it had a pesto sauce then vegey's on top, it was pretty good! So I guess if worse comes to worse I will just load it up on pizza to get my broccoli, I wish there was a better way (healthier that is) to eat it AND enjoy it. I really want to like it but my taste buds tend to go against me! Grr....well I will keep trying.....

Any good recipes or ways you like it?!

5 comments:

  1. Andy and I LOVE broccoli! We eat it at least 3 nights a week. Keep trying! It's really good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maggie,
    I didn't like it much when I was a kid either. When I was a teenager, my aunt steamed some and I LOVED it. We've dipped it in mayonnaise and the kids LOVE it too:) Scott was another one that didn't care for it. He's now a broccoli eater too. So, there's hope, but if you don't like it this way, you can always go back to the pizza idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little Maggie is growing up! I'm so proud of you! :-) I can remember many a time when you snubbed Broccoli. Way to go! It's pretty good with melted cheese or even cooked in a a condensed soup. Or BOTH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Broccoli, how I love thee, let me count the ways...LOL, but seriously it is my FAVORITE veggie!!! I'll send you some of my recipes. I grew up eating it like MEleah suggested (the Prisks were the first family besisdes mine that I knew did that), but lately I just like it steamed. It's also good stir fried with a little soy sauce.

    Here's a You Tube video with a song about broccoli http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1-yWIJi-gg. I personally find it HI-larious because I grew up with knowing it. It's part of an old Saturday Night Live skit, but this was the song that someone made into a different video. I bet you'll remember it everytime you eat broccoli from now on;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Broccoli Salad:
    3 crowns of broccoli, cut small
    16 strips of chopped, cooked bacon
    2 cups mozzarella cheese
    1/2 sm. red onion (or any onion)
    Blend separate...
    1 cup mayo
    2 TBS red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar
    Mix well together, refrigerate for at least an hour before eating.
    I just made this last night for dinner...been craving it for a couple days :o)
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete