Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Trip to Idaho

As I mentioned in my last post, our Grandpa passed away last tuesday, 3/1/11. He passed away in his sleep, very peacefully, Praise the Lord! It was met by shock and many tears, yet we are resting in the knowledge that he is now with our Lord. Grandpa was in Idaho when he passed away, his home on and off for many years, its where he loved to be. We travelled over to Idaho on Wednesday morning and got there in the evening. Many family members where able to come (33 I believe) so we had the Shiloh Inn hoppin'! Thursday we were waiting for more family to arrive and just kinda lounged and spent some time together, but of course we did just a little shopping to pass the time :o) Friday morning we had a special time of gathering together, praying, and sharing memories of Grandpa. It was such a sweet time spent together and I am so thankful for the Godly heritage our Grandpa passed down, the most important thing he could have done for us. We then went to his apartment where we were able to view it "untouched" as he had it last. That was H.A.R.D, many tears were shed but, again, it was a time of "just family", sweet sweet time of comforting one another and prayer. We were able to pick something from his home to keep as a memorable thing that would be special to us, I got to keep a blanket that was on his bed. (smells just like him) After we cleared and cleaned out his apartment we went to the funeral home to view his body, as Kali mentioned in her post, I too had never viewed a body before, never really was my thing. Yet, this time, I decided to do it and I really am glad I did. The family that was there all viewed and as I have said before, it was a sweet time as a family, again many tears, we sat on the pews singing some hymns and so thankful we didn't have to face this alone. Saturday morning brought about the memorial service, which went really well. It was mostly run by the grandkids, it was really neat being able to celebrate Grandpa's life with other people who knew him. (including grandpa's personal banker, yes, he was just that kind of man) Later that night, we watched some of a video my cousin, Jason, recorded of Grandpa about two years ago. It was Grandpa sittin' in a rocking chair, telling stories, it was like "one more conversation with Grandpa."

It was so fun to see some family I havn't seen in years and spend some time with them! Among the sadness and tears, there was also rejoicing and joy! He is now with the Lord, NO MORE PAIN!! It was so great to have so much family there to support each other and just "be there" for each other. I am feeling SO thankful and SO blessed to have such a wonderful family!!



At the Memorial Service......


I laugh at this picture because I don't even remember it being taken! haha!

Cousins!!!
 (Grandpa always wore a hat, either a cowboy hat or baseball hat)

Beautiful Shoshone Falls!

No comments:

Post a Comment