Friday, November 9, 2012

So tell me....{Grandma W.-- Part 2}


If you missed Part 1, you will definitely want to go back and read it! >>>>>  So tell me...{Grandma W.-- Part 1}

............................................................................

9. How did you and Grandpa meet?
Grandpa and I met at a Community Dance at the old Sekiu School House. Grandpa was the Deputy Sheriff out at Sekiu/Clallam Bay Area. Grandpa would sit in with the band quite often when he wasn't called out to settle a fight etc.... He usually played either the guitar or Saxophone. I had recently arrived back home from Seattle Business College. Grandpa had a young cousin staying with him for a while. He said he told his cousin Monroe, "See that girl standing over there? That is the girl I am going to marry". I hadn't even met him yet! Later in the evening and after several dances and talking, he asked me who I came with. I told him...a girl friend. He then asked me if he could take me home...I was a little hesitant but being young and naive I thought that should be pretty safe since he was the Deputy Sheriff. That was the beginning of a 6 month courtship. One evening, he brought me home while we were sitting in the car in our yard, he reached into his glove box and brought out a little box with 2 rings in it and asked me if I would marry him. I was totally surprised!! Wasn't sure what to say. Finally said I thought maybe I was too young to get married!! He convinced me I wasn't ...so I told him he needed to ask my Dad, which he did a couple days later. My Dad liked him and gave his consent! We then had an engagement party announcement. To make the announcement we put our cat in a paper bag and tied a ribbon around his neck with an engagement announcement (letting the cat out of the bag). That was on my 19th birthday Nov. 4th 1949. We were married the following Feb18th 1950.

10. What was your wedding like?
We had a quite large wedding. We were married in Port Angeles at the Lutheran Church. Almost all of Sekiu/Clallam Bay were there (smaller towns at that time). Our reception was in the Elks hall. I had a Maid of Honor (my Sis), 3 bridesmaids, a flower girl. Grandpa had 4 relatives for his attendants. We sneaked out during the reception as Grandpa's Best man got word that some of my mischievous uncles were going to kidnap me! We honeymooned for a week in a Port Angeles Motel!

11. When did you receive Christ?
I was baptized a Catholic when I was about 6 yrs. old but didn't really feel that was enough. At age 34 I went to the altar at the First Church of God and there asked for my sins to be forgiven and asked Jesus into my heart!! What a weight was lifted! I was so at peace :)

12. What was it like to have 7 kids?
A very busy time, but most enjoyable!! :) Just took everything day to day and made the best of everything and time we had.

13. Any funny stories from when your kids were little?
Can't think of anything much right now. Cute....Your dad and Joe had a thriving business...They built a little stand and picked cherries from the black republican tree and sold them at their stand. I think about the only customers were an older couple that lived on Glass Rd.  Boys thought that was pretty good  for a short time anyway!!

14. What was dad like as a child?
He was such a cute little guy!! Well behaved, but felt sorry for him as he was growing up. He had a brother 5 yrs. older and a brother 5 yrs. younger. Poor Jeff was stuck in the middle. The older one was always not wanting him in his room and playing with his stuff...so would fight with him. Then, Jeff being 5 yrs. older than Joe kind of passed the issues off to Joe. Not a very good timing between them when they were young.

15. What was your favorite TV show?
We didn't have TV until after we were married and Marcy was just a baby. We enjoyed the commercials a lot. Didn't watch much TV until later when I think the Walton's and Little House on the Prairie were our favorites.

16. Any advice you would like to give to my generation of young adults?
Most importantly, always keep God in your life. Dream your dreams but remember that true happiness comes from the simpler things in life and not on the expensive things.

........................................................................

My Grandparents were married for 55 years before my Grandpa passed away in 2005. Such a great testament of God's plan on how a marriage should be!

Thanks so much, Grandma W! I was so fun to hear all the answers!

Happy Weekend Everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving these posts! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maggie...I think I learned a couple things about Mom and Dad I didn't know!! :)

    ReplyDelete