Thursday, November 29, 2012

So tell me....{Granny B.-- Part 1}

My Granny {Mom's mom} is about as southern as a 'southern Granny' gets! Granny spent many of her years in Arkansas and she has the accent to go along with it. :) She makes a mean biscuits and gravy {chocolate gravy too!!} and has that classic southern hospitality. I love her to pieces and am so thankful for her sweet, loving spirit.
..........................................................................

1. Where were you born?
I was born at Murray Arkansas/Shiloh. In a two room Log cabin my daddy built on his Homestead :-)

2. What did you and your siblings do for fun?
We made our own fun. Climbing trees, ball games, lots of outside games, running base, stink base, antaover, etc...

3. What did your parents do for a living?
My parents did many things for a living. They had a farm we grew most of our food. When we needed cash dad {and sometimes Mom} would take a crosscut saw and they would cut a load of stave Bolts or Hickory splits. Then, they would get someone to haul it off for him. We started going to Missouri to pick cotton in the fall. Sometimes we would go and pick strawberries! Times were hard, but we were happy!!!!

4. What was your mother like?
Mom was a very easy going person. As we grew up I never heard her say she loved any of us, but we knew she did. She tanned our hide when we needed it with a little, keen switch. It really did sting :-) Mom worked hard in the fields and inside. She canned everything she could get her hands on, so we would have food to eat through the winter!!!!

5. Did your family have any special traditions around the holidays?
We had a great Christmas. We always got candy, an apple, and an orange in our sock! Which was GREAT :-)

6. What's your legal name?
Vera is my legal name, but my Mom named me Pearlie Mae. Penny (midwife) sent it in {on the birth certificate} as Vera Mae. We didn't know until Daddy went into the navy when I was 10 years old. So everyone kept using the same name they used all my life!

7. When did you got your first job? Where was it at?
Working in a mail order house at National Belahess in Kansas city, Missouri. I worked all my life when I was big enough to hoe corn or pull weeds.

8. When did you accept Christ?
I got saved at age 29. The happiest day of my life. Wish I had done it a lot sooner. I haven't regretted it a day!!!
...................................................................

Isn't it funny that when my granny was a little girl, an apple and orange in her Christmas stocking were something SO special! It definitely shows how blessed we are today!

Part 2 coming soon!


1 comment:

  1. My Mamaw was also born in a log cabin! In Kentucky. I really like reading these, I should do some with our grandmas.

    ReplyDelete