Thursday, November 1, 2012

So tell me....{Grandma W.-- Part 1}


 Have we ever considered the fact that grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, etc... had lives before we were born? They have stories, wisdom, parts of history that can be shared with us, if only we ask.

This brings me to a new mini series that I've decided to start. "So tell me...", I have asked several questions to my grandma's and they are so sweet enough to give me answers to those questions.  

Today, I am starting off the series with 'Part 1' {of two parts} of my Grandma W {Dad's mom} questions and answers. I couldn't help but smile as I read all the stories of her childhood, love, and faith. I hope you all enjoy this series as much as I am enjoying sharing it with you!

Grandma W is one of the sweetest, most genuine people you will meet. She is always so willing to serve others, even with 7 kids and many more grand kids {and great-grand kids!} she still has so much patience and love. I am so blessed to have her in my life! Did I mention she is a fabulous cook?! :)

1. Where were you born?
I was born in a little 2 bed room house converted into a small hospital. It was located about a half mile down Burnt Mountain Rd. between Sappho and Clallam Bay.

2. What is one of your favorite childhood memories?
One of my favorite childhood memories was going on picnics at the favorite swimming hole by the lake with my Dad, Mom, and Sis. Also at the Ocean Beach .. playing in the sand and playing in the waves that broke on the shore. My Dad built a big raft on a smaller Lake. He just left it there as it was quite large. He made it out of old logs & etc. We would pack up a picnic lunch and spend the afternoon out on the raft. Daddy loved to fish so we would take our home made poles and some string and fish with him :) It was always a fun afternoon.

3. What did your parents do for a living?
My Dad worked in the logging industry mostly. He and his brother had their own logging business. My Dad operated the bulldozer most of the time. They also went in together and bought a General Store in Sekiu. They didn't work in it but my Mom, another Lady and my Sis worked in it.

4. What was it like for your family during The Depression?
I was pretty young but remember my Dad having a hard time getting enough work. At our house in Beaver we didn't have a inside toilet. We had an outhouse and used an old Sears Roebuck catalog for toilet paper!

5. What did you do for fun as a teenager?
We roller skated on the sidewalk and on the edge of the highway (not much traffic there then), played in the woods by our house, climbed trees. When we moved from Beaver to Sekiu, we played on the beach just in front of our house and also made camps in the woods.

6. How old were you when you got your first job? And where was it at?
I was 16 when I got my first job outside of home. It was at the Sekiu General Store as a clerk. The Store was owned by my Dad and his brother.

7. Did you have any holiday traditions growing up?
All of the Konopaski family would go to Port Angeles. One of the Uncles had a large house where we all gathered for the holiday meals and opening gifts at Christmas time.

8. Are their any family recipes that were passed down to you?
Yes.... I think one of the favorites was my Mom's Best Oatmeal Cookies
......................................................................................

Part 2 coming soon!
The next part includes the story behind my grandpa and grandma meeting...very cute! :)

1 comment:

  1. I think we need the recipe for the oatmeal cookies!! :-) This is such a neat idea to "interview" your grandmas!!
    ~Monik

    ReplyDelete